Nearly 3 million civilians living in the last rebel-held province, Idlib, cautiously welcome the creation of a 'demilitarised' zone after Russia and Turkey's deal. However, the residents express concern over Assad's commitment.
Turkish Red Crescent official says aid staff are preparing tents for 90,000 people but expect many more to be 'ready to survive by themselves' if the Syrian government launches an offensive on Idlib, the last rebel-held province.
On Tuesday, airstrikes, the first in weeks, kills citizens in Idlib, the last rebel-held province in Syria, and raises fears amongst the international community, that an all-out government offensive is bound to happen soon.
The head of the Turkey-based Syria's National Coalition (SNC), Abdulrahman Mustafa, said that the rebels would not turn against Hayy'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) in the wake of a government assault on Idlib.
The Idlib museum, whose collections rival those in Aleppo and Damascus, reopened last month, despite having lost an unknown number of its treasures to looters. With an attack on Idlib so near and so likely, many observers are afraid that the museum will be damaged much more.
Rights and aid organizations in the Syrian province of Idlib are warning of the humanitarian disaster that could follow an imminent regime offensive on the last rebel-held territory. Turkish Foreign Minister stated that a massacre would occur if Idlib was bombed.
Syrian officials’ statements about the coming battle for Idlib are alarming the residents of the rebel-held province. Al-Haj Abu Youssef, a small shop owner in al-Dabit neighbourhood in the suburbs of Idlib, shares his concerns about the military and political developments that surround the fate of his city.
As clashes around the region escalate and there are rumours of an impending offensive by loyalist Syrian forces, researcher Ahmet Altindal, argues that Idlib could be the endgame for the Syrian conflict which has been ongoing since 2011.