Despite hopes that a ceasefire can be reached, LNA spokesman, Ahmed al-Mismari, said earlier this week that a pause to the fighting in Tripoli "is unlikely"
Clashes are continuing in Libya as the conflict continues between the Government of National Accord (GNA) and the Libyan National Army (LNA).
The LNA, which controls large swaths of Libya, including the eastern parts of the country, has been attempting to take the capital, Tripoli, which is held by the GNA and located in the western half of the country.
On Wednesday, the UN Envoy to Libya, Ghassan Salame, told the UN Security Council that a ceasefire could be obtained and a lasting truce achieved.
However, on Thursday, the spokesman for the LNA, Ahmed Mismari, said that it “is unlikely” that a ceasefire will be agreed between the two sides, saying that “all of the opportunities that helped avoid a war in Tripoli are over”.
Despite a truce held on 10th August to mark the Eid al-Adha holidays, which put a pause to the five months of fighting, clashes have continued and persisted, with Mismari saying that the truce only marked the religious holiday and was nothing more.
According to sources close to LNA leaders Khalifa Haftar, a new plan has been drawn up to storm Tripoli, despite the difficulties that the LNA has faced thus far to make gains in or around the capital.
Earlier this week, Mitiga Airport, the last functioning airport in Tripoli, was damaged by LNA forces, leading to its closure.
88km southeast of Tripoli in the town of Tarhuna, LNA aircraft destroyed an ammunition depot belonging to GNA-affiliated militia.
On Thursday, the GNA carried out a raid on LNA fighters in the Wev Region near al-Erban in Gharyan, destroying a truck carrying ammunition and other vehicles stationed in the area.