Violence in the northwestern Idlib province, has displaced more than 38,500 people in less than two weeks, the UN said on Thursday. Syrian rebel commanders said that Ankara has sent weapons and ammunition to opposition forces in Idlib, to fight back when the SAA's offensive is launched.
More than 38,500 people have been displaced in less than two weeks due to violence in northwest Syria, amid increasing hostilities and a looming regime assault on the opposition-held Idlib province, the UN said on Thursday.
“Between 1-12 September, available information indicates that a sharp increase in hostilities and fears of further escalation has led to the displacement of over 38,500 people,” the UN humanitarian agency said.
The latest remarks came as Syrian rebel commanders told Reuters that Ankara has sent weapons and ammunition to opposition forces in Idlib, to stave off an offensive to retake the rebel-held city.
Reports suggested the planned assault on the last rebel stronghold in Syria might be put on ice, as pro-regime media accounts report that the battle plan has been postponed until a later date.
“So it seems Idlib ops (divided into 3 stages) has been moved for a further date,” tweeted one account.
This could be due to the Syrian regime, Russia, and Iran could have concluded that their forces would face much stronger resistance from the rebels in Idlib, than previously considered.
Turkey’s vocal resistance to the offensive might have also been a stumbling block, with Ankara a key part of the Russian and Iranian-sponsored Astana peace process.
Turkey has suggested it would assist the rebels if such an attack takes place, and allow the Idlib garrisons of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) to be bolstered by the Ankara-sponsored Euphrates Shield force in northern Syria.
“They pledged complete Turkish military support for a long, protracted battle,” an FSA commander told the news agency.
Among the weaponry to enter Idlib in recent days are Grad missiles, the FSA officer told the agency.
“These arms supplies and munitions will allow the battle to extend and ensure our supplies are not drained in a war of attrition… The Turks are making sure they have enough munitions that keep them going for a long while,” he added.
A unified rebel force – known as the the National Front for Liberation – has been formed in Idlib with Turkish assistance, which is a mostly FSA-aligned movement that numbers around 30,000 fighters.
Ankara overtures to HTS fighters to join the new movement and disassociate themselves from jihadi ideology have not yet been successful.
It comes as Turkey held last-minute talks with Bashar al-Assad’s allies – Russia and Iran – last week, but Ankara’s hopes of a ceasefire being brokered fell through.
The expected offensive on Idlib has not yet started, but reports suggest that Russia has given Turkey more time to separate “extremists” from “moderates” in the opposition province.
Regime forces have managed to take back most of Syria in recent months – such as Eastern Ghouta and Daraa – but these areas were relatively isolated, with the rebel groups lacked strong foreign support.